Saturday, March 1, 2008

tips how to improve listening skill

Do you like listening? Are you good at listening?
For me, although I like litening English songs and watching U.S. films, I am not good at listening and listening tests are my nightmares. Sometimes I wonder how can I do my listening tests confidently or how can I watch U.S. movies without subtitle. So I've searched the internet and found some tips that I'd to share with you to improve our listening skill. I hope you enjoy them

By Anis Dwinarti
Most beginners get difficulty in listening practice. Some of them cannot catch the dialogue due to their lack of vocabularies, pronunciation and grammar. Here are some tips to improve your listening skill:


1. Select a book with the cassette, which is suitable for your level. It will help you practise the listening easily and you can anticipate the level of difficulty.

2. Listen to the cassette without reading the text/ dialogue once or twice. When you find difficulty in grasping the meaning, listen again while scrutinizing the text/ dialogue.

3. Pay attention carefully to the pronunciation and intonation. If you want to improve your pronunciation, listen and repeat the dialogue/ text by pausing each sentence.

4. After listening to the text/ dialogue, do the exercise and check your answer with the answer-key or with your teacher.

5. If you watch TV, select the English program/ film. Listen to the dialogue carefully without reading the translation (text).

6. Listen to English songs and learn the words. If you like singing, memorize the words and sing them.

7. Practise the above tips everyday although only half an hour. By practising the listening exercises many times, your listening will improve faster.

2 comments:

Happy Family said...

What an informative entry. Now I think I've found a good method to imrove my listening skils. Thanks to these useful tips, listening will not be a night-mare to all students.Tata!

Anonymous said...

no it's still be my nightmare :))

but i like the tip no.6, which i usually follow >:) i myself try not to look at the lyrics and try to sing along the songs with any words i can hear :p i dunt know if it can help me improve my listening skill much, but i can affirm that it's the best way which makes me feel pleasant when listening english :))