Monday, April 21, 2008

What we have learned.

This is the first time I have written a journal. In fact, I am now still uncertain about the functions as well as the requirements of a typical journal. However, believing that looking back on what you learned in the previous months and writing something about that would be very helpful for your learning strategies in the future, I tried my best to accomplish one. This journal discusses some of my opinions and experience about learning pronunciation and English functions, class debates, blogging, and the mid-term presentation.

Firstly, having a good pronunciation is one of the crucial aims of learning speaking. In the previous semester, the book Sound English was used and it proved to be undoubtedly useful for developing my pronunciation. Initially, I found it was quite boring since all I had to do was listening to simple sounds and reproducing them. Nevertheless, after several months, I eventually discovered the real value of the book. By practicing little be little, I was able to make some sound contrasts used in English and felt much more confident when I had to speak in front of the class. In addition, the book facilitated me to overcome mistakes that English learners often encounter. For instance, students can produce a sound correctly when they are concentrating on it, but revert to their previous, faulty pronunciation at other times when they have to cope with grammar and vocabulary, and the meaning of what they want to say. Thanks to the book’s different exercises, I have learned how to maintain correct pronunciations in various situations. Besides correct pronunciations, stress and intonation are undeniably essential aspects of learning speaking. It would be advisable that we be taught those things in this term. Furthermore, I have been working very hard to perfect my pronunciation because speaking is one of my favorite subjects. Still, I have no idea whether I have made any progress or not. It would be very helpful if you could provide me some feedback on my oral talk last Wednesday. Also, I recommend that the book Sound English continue to be used in this term.

Secondly, learning English functions plays an important role in developing our conversation strategies. Personally, I really appreciate and benefit from the clear and direct advice and language patterns given by the course books and the teacher, because they enable me to choose the best ways to express myself in particular situations. For example, when receiving a compliment, I am supposed to say “thank you “, or “ I’m glad you like it”, which is rather contrary to what we often do in our culture. Furthermore, thanks to the functions, I can avoid saying something too directly or impolitely, which is likely to cause the listeners to feel unpleasant or disrespected. For example, when you want to decline an invitation, you can use some of these polite ways “I’d love to but I already have plans”, or “sorry but I can’t come “, instead of saying rudely “I don’t want to come”. Throughout the lessons, we are required to take part in many activities such as role-plays, discussions, debates, etc. To me, those activities provide favorable opportunities to practice and memorize the functions in different contexts, so that we can easily call up them in real-life conversations. For example, before learning the functions of expressing disagreement, I often felt reluctant to show my opinions in a conversation since I didn’t know where to start. After practicing them, I feel much more confident in speaking because I have the appropriate tools for voicing my disagreement politely and effectively. Indeed, I consider learning English functions a crucial stage in learning speaking.

Thirdly, what I am most interested in in learning speaking are class debates and discussions. In my opinion, they are opportunities to practice both the English you already know and some new ways of expressing things. For instance, when we want to say something, we can try using some expressions like “as far as I am concerned…”, or “the way I see it …” instead of simply saying “I think …” Furthermore, class debates and discussions are interactive and lively activities where we are not prepared in advance, so critical thinking to respond to other people’s opinions and questions seems to be really necessary. For example, when somebody objects to your ideas or asks you why you choose that solution, you are supposed to give a satisfactory reply supporting your view points spontaneously. Through those activities, your agility can gradually be developed. In addition, unlike role-plays, where we all become actors and actress with perfect pronunciation and beautiful sentences (because everything is prepared ahead of time), class debates and discussions allow us to point out our mistakes. Particularly, when you are unprepared, you are likely to encounter a lot of mistakes in pronunciation as well as grammar and vocabulary. Recognizing the mistakes and learning from them help us perfect our speaking skills. Besides, I would like to recommend that the teacher should encourage all the students in the class to actively participate in those activities, since I realize there are many students feeling hesitant to express themselves in front of the class. I believe a few words of encouragement from the teacher will give them lots of incentive to voice what they think.
Fourthly, keeping a group’s blog is a distinctive feature of this semester. Initially, it seemed to have nothing to do with speaking. Sometimes, I even found it time-consuming as preparing an entry to post on the blog required a lot of time and effort. Nevertheless, after a few weeks, I got used to it and step by step discovered its potential benefit. Blogging encourages me to use the internet more effectively. Indeed, I have to spend more time searching for useful information supporting the lessons than chatting or playing games online. Moreover, there are lots of things to learn when you visit other groups’ blogs. Also, I find giving and receiving comments are the most interesting parts of blogging. However, I made a lot of mistakes in posting new entries for I was unclear about the rules. Particularly, I uploaded many pictures without including their sources. In addition, I myself posted several irrelevant entries on the blogs, which are regarded as junk. Thanks to the teacher’s reminder, I eventually recognized my faults and already removed all the unsuitable things. Generally, keeping a blog, to some extent, is a good way to study, but I can hardly consider it one of the most effective methods to improve speaking skills.

Fifthly, compare to last term, the format of this term’s mid-term test is rather different. We are required to do a lot of things such as role-plays, presentations, writing blogs… However, what I would like to discuss here is the presentation. Actually, I really looked forward to it since it was a chance for me to act like a real teacher. Reckoning its importance, my group had a big plan for it. The project was intended to comprise two parts, the PPT presentation and some clips to illustrate the lessons. In order to recording some daily conversations, we decided to spend a whole day traveling around district one, interviewing foreigners. Because this was the first time we had done this kind of job, we felt quite scared in the beginning. Nevertheless, we soon overcame that fear after talking to some friendly tourists. It was very lucky that we met lots of kind foreigners who were more than willing to answer our questions. To return their honesty, we gave them postcards as souvenirs and they seemed to be very happy, which left a deep impression on each of us. Also, meeting and talking to those people enable us to practice our English and made us become more confident. After the journey, we felt very happy and hopeful about the project. Unfortunately, we were terribly let down by an unforeseen circumstance. Our efforts were in vain because the videos’ quality was so poor that we could not include them in our presentation. We could hardly recognize ourselves in the clips due to the horrible sound and extremely blurred images. As a result, out presentation did not live up to our expectation. Nonetheless, the journey remained an unforgettable memory in our mind. Furthermore, the project was more than a mid-term test since we benefited a lot from it. In deed, we have learned how to promote the solidarity and also gained a lot of first-hand experience.

In summary, in the second semester, there are many considerable changes in studying speaking. Personally, those changes contributed to giving me another attitude towards speaking class. I tried my best to become more active, talkative (perhaps) and confident in order to get good results in one of my most favorite subjects. Learning speaking is a long-term process which requires a lot of patience and attempts; however, with the help of my teacher and classmates, I hope things will become easier.
Written by TaTa.

9 comments:

Captain Nemo said...

Picking the stamp, Phew, perhaps this is the longest entry I've ever read. I can see how much time and effort you have spent on it. First, I would to show my admiration to you for your effort. This entry provides us great experience in learning speaking. It's not only a story but also a full description of your process in learning. I am really surprized that you can handle these things in only half of the semester. Second, this entry also represents the feelings of students like us who felt boring doing these things at the very beginning and later recognized their benefits. However, in my opinion, I would like to suggest you that you should shorten your entry more because it really takes me a lot of "effort" and "patience" to read the whole of it. And more more thing, there seems to be two "thirdly" in your entry, should I consider it a "mistake". Hope that you could me an answer. ^^ Cheer ^^ [Mr Violence]

3snakesand1cat said...

wow!! what a long and coherent entry!!
what you said are really true. I have the same feeling like you.
how much time did you spend to write this journal? Hope we all maintain what we are doing...***

Anonymous said...

I cannot help myself telling you that I appreciate this entry a lot. Really.

Although your sentences and structures used in this entry are very simple, they are still clear and concise, and they don't make us feel bored when reading them. And one important thing, I can see your enthusiasm and your sincere though every word you wrote ^^

If you ask me, I will tell you that you have made a lot of progress since this term ^^ I am very impressed by your speaking skills. Your voice sounds influent, attractive, and confident. I really like it, and I remember that I told you once 'bout that ^^

And I myself think that not only your speaking skills are improve but also your writing skills ^^ I can see that very clear after reading carefully this long-but-wonderful entry ^^ You gave your opinions, you analyzed them, and you proved your points by showing examples, ... That's really great !!!

For all the ideas shown above about many aspects of this subject - Speaking, I should only tell you one thing: I cannot agree more, for sure ^^

It's my pleasure to read this entry. Thank you :-* Luv you much hehehe

Unknown said...

wow, this entry is very very long. First, it make me hard to see, but then when I read gradually, I find out how much effort you spend & how interesting it is. yeap, it's also my feeling. You are clever when combining speaking & writing skills, I can see it through your long but coherent entry. that's great!^^
it's take me much time to read this entry, but it's worth doing that.^_^
PS: visit us at all4one.blogspot.com & share your ideas with us ^^ thanks

F5 said...

How long this entry is!
I bet you spent a lot of time as well as tried much hard to write so perfect an entry like this. It's so impressive ^^
I totally agree with Bee's opinions. Actually you have been surprising us a lot. In this semester, I've founded you has made a fast progress not only in Speaking but also in many subjects. You definitely tried your best and practiced more and more to gain those things. Indeed, I admire you and your effort very much.
Thank you for showing us your viewpoints & remarks.

Captain Nemo said...

I fought with WORDS and I... won at last. I swear the first time I see you this Friday, I will kill you. It cost me a lot of time and effort and energy and food and blah blah blah to read your entry. The only feeling at this time : ASHAMED. You make me feel ashamed of myself. I hate you! Huhu...

F.l.y.i.n.G K.i.t.e.S said...

Hi! Your entry suprises everybody. You must spend much time for it. I can see your effort to write all what you're thinking about speaking and what it helps you to improve the speaking skills.

Perhaps speaking helps you very much in your own skill. Your ability proves all. Try more, so that you can be best in 4 skills. I believe you can do that. ^^
Vinpearl

Happy Family said...

From the author: Thank you very much for your comments on my first journal. I have already corrected some mistakes that Vivavn suggested and I will try to make the next journal better. Thank you again. Luv you!

Anonymous said...

Well done! This is what I expect from you. Thanh Binh